Independence Day is just around the corner, so if you’re planning a backyard barbeque, plan on making your guests happy by serving them cold beer and a hot plate of Jerry’s Texas Teriyaki Chicken! Don’t be like those lazy, uninspired people who simply drop a plain chicken breast onto their grill and proceed to slather it with barbeque sauce expecting the flavor to penetrate the bland bird—because it won’t! Instead, take the time to prepare this marinade and let your chicken sit in the magical mixture for 24-48 hours before grilling.
Breasts or Thighs?
Some people are turned off by dark meat with its non-uniformed appearance, extra fat, bones, skin, and gristle. Don’t be! Just buy boneless, skinless thighs and check over each piece by hand and cut off any nasty bits like hidden bone fragments and cartilage. Thighs ultimately have more flavor than breast meat and are more forgiving in terms of cooking time and temperature. If you absolutely must use chicken breast, be sure to butterfly each breast to increase the surface area—allowing more room for flavor!
Charcoal or Gas?
Charcoal … Obviously.
- Ground Ginger: ½ tsp
- Italian Seasoning: ½ tsp
- Black Pepper: ½ tsp
- Granulated Garlic: 1 Tbsp
- Granulated Onion: 1 Tbsp
- Dried Onion Chips: 2 Tbsps
- Dark Brown Sugar: ¾ Cup
- Kikkoman Soy Sauce: 1 Cup
- Apple Cider Vinegar: ½ Cup
- Chipotles In Adobo Sauce (Blended): 2 Tbsps
(Note: You can find small cans of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce in the Goya aisle of your favorite grocery store for under $1.50. Don’t buy the most expensive one; the cheaper ones are better.)
- As mentioned above, prepare your chicken by removing anything that shouldn’t be there and butterfly the breasts if you’re too chicken to use thighs.
- Put all of your dry ingredients into a bowl large enough to hold your chicken and marinade with room to spare (metal or glass is better than plastic). DO NOT ADD SALT! The soy sauce will have all the salt you need.
- Add your wet ingredients and mix (I like to use a whisk). If you are making a large package of chicken, you may need to double the marinade recipe.
- Add your chicken, mix with your hand until the chicken is fully coated and submerged, cover, and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.
We Hope You and Your Family Have a Safe and Fun Independence Day!
God Bless America!